||Last update : 07/14/2002
GUMT - the GNU Users' Management Tool
GUMT is a graphical user administration tool designed with QT and released under the GPL. GUMT has been created in order to install and manage a Linux network at the IUT (Institut Universitaire de Technologie) of CLERMONT-FERRAND, in France. As a consequence, GUMT provides to administrators powerful features
. GUMT allows administrators to :
- add users,
- edit and modify users,
- remove users,
- add groups,
- edit and modify groups,
- remove groups,
- manage users' quotas.
Furthermore, GUMT provides a system of templates
that allows administrators to accelerate the creation of users
. Many users have several characteristics in common, and it's quite boring for administrators to create all these users one by one, typing the same data (such as GID, shell, ...) each time. Thanks to templates, administrators don't waste time anymore : they only have to give to concerned users the same model and most of the fields requiered to add users are automatically completed : only the login is needed. A templates contains :
- a name, which is unique,
- a UID : the users created with the template are given the first UID, greater than this field, available,
- a GID : the GID of the users created with the template corresponds to this field,
- a home directory : all home directories of the users created with the template are in this directory,
- a default shell : the default shell of the users created with the template is the same as the one of the template,
- all data needed to apply quotas for the users created with the template : blocks soft, hard and time limits, inodes soft, hard and time limits.
One other feature of GUMT is the automatic creation of users. Administrators just have to load a file with users' name, first name and template in it and the work is done !
GUMT has been successfully tested on :
- Linux Mandrake 7.1,
- Linux RedHat 7.3,
- Linux RedHat 7.0,
- Linux Slackware 7.0,
- SuSE Linux 7.0.
GUMT is in fact a frontend to those commands : useradd
. Thus, GUMT should not damage your system. But please email me
if you find any bug. You can also contact me if you have improved GUMT.
GUMT has been developped by :